With Bastille Day coming up on July 14, celebrate with Princess Aly’s favorite French dessert – nutella crepes! There are two things you must remember. The first is to refrigerate your batter for at least 2 hours. This resting period develops the flavor and helps the crepe come off the pan easier when cooking. The second is to remember a piece of advice from Martha Stewart, the queen of all bakers:”The first attempt out of every batch is inevitably a dud, even in the most experienced hands. Usually its because the cook was impatient and the pan was not quite hot enough, or she ladled in a little too much batter.”
1 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup milk (room temperature)
2 tablespoons of butter (melted)
Extra butter to coat the pan
1. Sift flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Whisk milk, eggs, and butter in another bowl.
3. Add flour to mixture and whisk to combine.
4. Refrigerate batter for at least 2 hours (up to a day).
5. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat, and coat with butter. Ladle batter into pan, turning and tilting skillet to coat bottom evenly with batter. Cook each side for about 1 minute using a spatula to loosen the edges before flipping.
6. Repeat with remaining batter, coating with butter as needed (every 2 or 3 crepes).
7. Fill with nutella and sprinkle with powdered sugar. If desired add strawberries, bananas, whipped cream, or ice cream. The beauty of crepes is you can add whatever you want; savory or sweet they’re all delicious.
Have a fun and safe Bastille day and bon appetit!