Hoooo doesn’t love halloween?? It was definitely one of Aly’s favorite holidays. She loved that one day out of the year you could be anything you want and eat all the candy you want! Celebrate this halloween with these owl cupcakes!
Chocolate cake mix
1. Bake cupcakes according to box (substitute whole milk for water for a more dense cake).
2. After cupcakes have fully cooled, you may need to use a knife to flatten the tops to make them easier to decorate.
3. Frost cupcakes.
4. Twist oreos and set aside halves with cream. Add brown Reeses pieces to the oreo halves for the owl eyes and then place on top of the cupcakes.
5. Add orange Reeses pieces underneath the eyes to make the owl beaks.
6. Depending on what time your event is, you may want to decorate on site. This will ensure everything stays in place and the oreos will stay crispy. If you decorate beforehand, serve within a few hours.
* 1 out of every 2-3 oreos I twisted were usable for the eyes. Save unsuccessful twists and other halves to make a crust or add to vanilla cake for a cookies and cream flavor.
After having some delicious ginger beer, Aly was inspired to make a dessert with ginger. She found candied ginger at a magical place called Trader Joes and with Thanksgiving just around the corner she decided to add some seasonal spices. A dash of cinnamon and a dash of cardamom and voila! Chai spiced ginger cookies with a great balance of sweet and spicy.
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cardamom
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 and 1/4 brown sugar
1/4 white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
1.Take eggs and butter out about 30 min before you start so they are room temperature.
2. Sift flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom and set aside.
3. Blend butter with sugar until creamy. Then add eggs and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture and then add chocolate and ginger.
4. Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours.
5. When you’re ready to bake, line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees and bake for 10-12 minutes (until edges are golden brown). Cool on the sheet for 1-2 minutes then move to cooling rack.
Once upon a time an evil man tried to take over Aly’s kingdom. He made threats against all the people she loved, including everyone on Sesame Street. Aly and Prince Charming were especially worried about their friend Cookie Monster. Thankfully they were able to gather an army led by Sir Obama and banished the evil man away to a far away land.
How to Decorate:
After your cupcakes have fully cooled, use a sharp knife to cut sections out for the eyes and mouth. If your cupcakes baked really high in the middle, you might also want to level it off a little bit.
The eyes – Wilton’s white chocolate baking chips with the black cookie icing (you can also use a black edible pen).
The mouth – small chocolate chip cookies cut into halves.
Frosting – blue food coloring added to vanilla frosting and piped on last after placing the eyes and mouth.
We all scream for cupcakes? This deceiving dessert is actually cupcake mix baked in silicone ice cream cones! A kit was found at a place Aly loved to shop at called Cost Plus World Market.
Bake and decorate as you wish! Add frosting, whipped cream, sprinkles, and maybe a cherry on top.