Aly looked in her pantry to find something to bake. She saw a box of funfetti cake mix and a can of pineapples and decided to make a pineapple upside down cake. To make it more fun… she made it Hawaiian and substituted coconut oil for regular oil.
1 Box of funfetti cake mix (yellow cake is standard)
1/3 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons of butter
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 20 ounce can of pineapples
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make cake according to box but substitute coconut oil for regular oil.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in 9 in round pan in the oven.
4. Sprinkle 1/3 cup brown sugar on top of melted butter and then add pineapple slices.
5. Add cake batter on top.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Place serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake and then remove the pan.
* Batter was enough to make 9″ round pan as well as 2 small ramekins. If you don’t have ramekins you can also use a cupcake pan.
* Coconut flavor was too subtle but gave the cake a good consistency. Next time I will also substitute coconut milk for the water in the cake batter as well.