There was only one day left until the Hunger Games movie premiere! Aly got pretty hungry while she counted down so she decided to make Hunger Games inspired desserts: Mockingjay Cake, Prim’s Goat Cheese Cheesecake, Girl on Fire Cupcakes, and Peeta’s Lavender Shortbread. The Mockingjay Cake is a 5″ x 5″ piece of red velvet cake, covered with buttercream frosting and black sprinkles, and the symbol is made out of shortbread. Same cake and frosting for the Girl on Fire Cupcakes; also decorated with shortbread. See below for recipes. Enjoy and may the odds be ever in your favor when you bake!
Prim’s Goat Cheese Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter
16 ounces cream cheese (softened)
8 ounces goat cheese from Prim’s goat Lady
8 ounces sour cream
4 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1. Mix graham cracker crumbs with butter and press it onto the bottom and about a third way up the sides of your pan.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Beat the cream cheese and goat cheese with an electric mixer on low until light and fluffy.
4. Add sour cream and continue mixing on low. Then add eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract and mix.
5. Pour filling into the crust and bake for about 45-50 minutes. Cool and then refrigerate for at least a few hours before serving.
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter (softened)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1. Combine flour with salt and set aside.
2. Mix butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Then add flour and mix.
3. Separate dough depending on how many colors you want to use for decor.
4. To make the Mockingjay symbol I added yellow food coloring and used a knife to cut the circle, bird, and arrow. Then I layered each piece on top of the cake which was frosted and covered with black sprinkles.
5. For the fire design on the cupcakes, I used red and yellow food coloring and layered the yellow piece on top of the red and baked them as one piece.
6. Bake at 350 for about 7-9 minutes depending on how thick you rolled your designs.
* To make Peeta’s Lavendar Shortbread, add 1 tablespoon of lavender extract and 2 tablespoons of honey to the recipe above and use purple food coloring.