Aly lived in a land where everyone loved to sing! The bakers sang while they made fresh bread, children sang on their way to school, and Aly loved to sing with her animal friends from the forest. Singing made everyone happy except for the evil witch who lived near the castle and constantly plotted against Aly and her family. One day the witch could no longer tolerate the singing so she cast a spell and took everyone’s voice! This happened right around Valentine’s Day so Aly had to find a way to say Happy Valentine’s Day to her Prince Charming and all her loved ones. She baked conversation heart cookies to give all her loved ones special Valentine messages. As for the evil witch she received no cookies and the spell wore off soon after.
1 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon extract
2 1/4 cups of flour
Assorted food coloring
1 heart cookie cutter
Wilton’s icing writer – red tube
1. Stir softened butter until creamy, then add sugar and stir.
2. Add lemon and mix. Then flour and mix.
3. Separate dough into smaller portions.
4. Add food coloring, a few drops at a time to create your favorite colors. Wash and dry hands between each color to avoid staining dough with previous color. (If you are going to bake later you can refrigerate the dough but will need to bring it back to room temperature before you are able to roll and cut shapes).
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll out dough on wax or parchment paper and cut into heart shapes. Rinse and dry rolling pin/cookie cutter every time you work with a different color.
6. Place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-22 min. Edges will turn slightly golden brown. Cool on the cookie sheet for 1-2 min then move to racks.
7. After cookies have fully cooled, you can use the icing to write messages to your valentine.
Now look down at your hands. If you’re like Aly your hands are now a rainbow of colors. Washing your hands enough times with warm water and soap will eventually remove the stains. However if you need the stains removed faster, lemon juice, shaving cream and vinegar are all household items that can speed up the process. Coat your stains with any of those products for about 4-5 min and rinse with warm water.